Tips for Heart Health:
Foods To Be Included:
Raw whole fruits, vegetables, green vegetables, oats, whole rains, pulses, almonds, walnuts, skimmed milk, e.g. white, lean chicken, lean ﬁsh etc.
Foods To Be Included:
Fruit juices with sugar, sweets, fried food, processed food, packed foods, butter, margarine, cream, mayonnaise, mutton, meat, fried chicken etc.
Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Eat a variety of whole grain products. Replace white bread, white rice, and cereals made with white flour with whole-wheat bread, long-grain rice, and whole-grain cereals. They help to decrease the glycemic load, thereby increasing the HDL cholesterol levels.
- Include variety of fruits and vegetables every day. Fruits and veggies are a good source of soluble fiber, which help in HDL increase.
- Eat diet low in saturated fat, especially animal fats and palm and coconut oils.
- Substitute the saturated fats in your diet with mono unsaturated fats for better HDL levels. Add foods such as olive oil, canola oil, and seafood. Avoid trans fats, as it brings a signiﬁcant reduction in good cholesterol and increases bad or LDL cholesterol levels.
- Eat foods containing polyunsaturated fats found in plants and seafood. Safflower oil and corn oil are high in polyunsaturated fats.
- Restrict fried foods and replace them with baked, steamed, boiled, broiled, or micro waved foods.
- Replace salted crackers with unsalted or low-sodium whole-wheat crackers. Eating less sodium can help lower some people’s blood pressure. This can help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Use herbs and spices as seasoning for vegetables and potatoes instead of salt and butter.
- Omega 3 fatty acids and soluble ﬁber consistently lowers serum triglycerides and may also have an effect on lowering blood pressure. Found in oily fish such as salmon, tuna and in Flax Seeds. ls available as a supplement.
- Excessive body weight reduces the HDL levels, thereby calling for loss of extra pounds.
- Avoid smoking, as it helps to a great extent. Alcohol intake, in moderation helps in the protection of the arteries from plaque and also increases the HDL levels.
|Instead of :||Do This :|
|Whole milk,and cream||use skim milk|
|Fried foods||eat baked, steamed, boiled, b roiled, or microwave foods|
|Butter’ palm’ and coconut oils||cook with unsaturated rated vegetable oils, such as corn, olive , canola, safflower, sesame, soybean, sunflower, or peanut|
|fatty cuts of meat, such as prime rib||eat lean cuts of meat or cut off the fatty parts|
|one whole egg in recipes||use two egg whites|
|sour cream and mayonnaise||use plain low fat yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese, or low-fat or “light” sour cream|
|sauces,butter, and salt||season vegetables with herbs and spices|
|regular hard and processed cheeses||eat low-fat low-sodium cheeses|
|salted potato chips and other snacks||choose low-fat, unsalted potato chips and unsalted popcorn|
Maintain a good level of physical activity.
it serves several functions in preventing and treating those at high risk by reducing incidence of obesity.
Exercise also increases HDL, lowers LDL and total cholesterol
Helps control diabetes and hypertension.
Those at high risk should take part in a specially supervised program.