“Slow-Acting Proteins – casein” what is casein, why do you need them & best time to take casein protein.
Beginners in gym doesn’t know what casein is and why do they need them. The only protein they know about is whey. Here I gonna tell you some facts about casein.
Casein and whey have very different applications when it comes to maintaining and building muscle tissue
- Whey was described earlier as a fast-absorbed ‘Anabolic’ protein greatly increasing Protein synthesis and boosting muscle growth.
- Casein is the major ANTI-CATABOLIC protein preventing muscle protein breakdown primarily due to its SLOW rate of absorption and consequent slow release of amino acid to the body for a sustained period of time.
Research has shown that-
- Casein resulted in a slower rise in serum amino acid concentrations but they remained significantly higher over a 7-hour period as compared to whey.
- casein was found to inhibit breakdown by 34% over a 7 hour period.
Best Timing to take casein protein :-
- Pre Workout – Casein is the perfect pre-workout Protein because it can maintain a slow sustained release of amino acids, especially BCAAs, throughout the workout to be used for energy and preventing muscle protein breakdown.
- Bedtime – Casein also an excellent meal before bedtime. Because of overnight fast, after this meal you generally go for hours without any meal. Casein protein will stay with your body longer than other forms of protein & helping to stave of muscle catabolism until your next meal in the morning.
- It is also the preferred protein in a meal meant to sustain for a prolonged period during the day.
Casein has its own benefits because it is a slow-digesting protein, that’s why it is called a ‘Powerful ANTI-CATABOLIC Protein’