Know your body Shape with WHR
Some people used to say – ‘I’m fit , just a little stomach has been increased. otherwise I’m perfectly healthy … So I don’t need gym… Blah blah blah …’
I’m sure there are women who would think you’re attractive. But Seriously man ! How can you say yourself healthy with increased stomach ??
Every person is unique with different body types and shapes. Body shape is the quantity and distribution of muscle and fat on the body. It refers to where your body typically stores the fat, no matter what your weight is. Now this is very important because where you store fat can be a predictor of health risk.
This is why every person have different diet and exercise. This means that lifestyle of every person need to sync with your metabolism or body type.
It’s a very old saying that “An apple a day keeps a doctor away” and I am afraid that you are not considering apple for your body type.
There are two types of body Shapes :-
- Apple Shaped Body (triangle downward) – If you have an apple-shaped body , then your body is “top heavy,” meaning you have broad shoulders, and a full bust, waist, and upper back. Apple-shaped bodies also tend to have thinner arms, legs, and hips, and tend to gain weight at their waistlines. Storehouse of Fat is mainly distributed in the abdomen, chest, and face.
- Pear Shaped Body (triangle upward) – The hip measurement is greater than the bust measurement.Fat tending to deposit in lower waist part ie in the buttocks, hips, and thighs. This body type tend to have a (relatively) larger rear, thicker thighs, and a smaller bosom. Your lower body is significantly larger than your upper body (like a triangle) with heavy rounded buts and thighs. Overall Your body fat is concentrated in the lower region.
Do you want to know your body type? Here are some tips about Waist to Hip Ratio to tell your body type – Apple or Pear. Your waist to hip ratio determines your risks for heart disease, hypertension, diabetes and obesity. The result of this ratio helps to know your health risks and also provide some tips to maintain a healthy body.
Measurement Guidelines :-
- Stand straight with your feet positioned close together.
- Don’t pull the tape too tight or keep it too loose.
- Measure the smallest portion of your waist just around or above the navel.
- Similarly measure the hip circumference at the widest part of your buttocks.
A person’s body shape is sometimes compared to an apple or a pear, depending upon the location of body fat. Specific health risks and diseases are associated with each type of body shape. Pear body type is comparative more healthier than Apple body type. So if your body type is Apple then get ready to make it as Pear and if it’s pear then hit on high to get best hourglass shape.
How to calculate WHR –
WHR Ratio = Waist/Hip
Ex. – waist (39) & hip (40), than WHR ratio is 39/40 = .975
Ideal waist hip ratio as per gender :-
- Women < 0.7
- Men < 0.9
WHR for Women-
Less than 0.8 – Low risk of health issues
0.8 to 0.89 – Moderate risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer
0.9 or over – High risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer
WHR for Men –
Less than 0.9 – Low risk of health issues
0.9 to 0.99 – Moderate risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer
1.0 or over – High risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer.
If still you are thinking that you are all fit with ideal weight but increased stomach , you are wrong !! Its the time to give attention on your diet & physical activity or need to hit the gym today.
Try these tips to lose the fat deposits around your belly –
- Eat raw garlic in the early morning.
- Drink lemon juice.
- Stay off from white rice.
- Avoid sugary substances.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Take 5-6 small meals in a day.
- Load up on fruits and vegetables.
- Never skip breakfast.
- Avoid heavy meal at a time.
- Exercise regularly.
Eat healthy, live healthy and stay connected !!!
Learn to love your body. It’s yours, after all. Why wouldn’t you love it? It’s a part of you, a good and beautiful part. Else dress it up until you like how you look.
Have a look, Dressing as per your shape brings out the best and covers the rest.